The Austin Independent School District (AISD) has said it will consider issuing requests for proposals for 10 of its properties, including the Carruth Administration Center at 1111 W. Sixth St.
AISD hasn’t said it will sell the properties, or even take action on proposals it gets– it is looking into the possibility of selling, leasing, swapping, or repurposing the properties to generate recurring or one-time revenue, the Austin American-Statesman reported.
The 10 properties are non-instructional or vacant, and are spread around Austin. They total $95 million in value.
Trustees said the district might consider selling or leasing the properties, putting affordable housing on them, forming partnerships with public, private or nonprofit entities, or academic or administrative opportunities.
Two of the properties are in the thick of fast-growing downtown Austin: the Carruth Administration Center on W. Sixth Street, valued at $33.6 million, and the Millett Opera House on E. Ninth Street, currently leased by the Austin Club.
AISD looked into selling the Carruth building once before, but didn’t like any of the offers it received.
The board voted on March 28 to issue RFPs, and would take three to four months to consider the proposals.
The 10 properties AISD is considering seeking bids on are:
- Allan Facility, 4900 Gonzales St.
- Austin Club, 110 E. Ninth St.
- Baker Center, 3908 Avenue B.
- Carruth Administration Center, 1111 W. Sixth St.
- 18.4 acres at Central Warehouse property, 3701 Woodbury Drive.
- 14 acres at the Service Center property, 5101 E. 51st St.
- 1.2 acres on Doris Drive, northwest corner of Doris Drive and Hathaway Drive.
- 32 acres on Loyola Lane, southwest corner of Loyola Lane and U.S. 183.
- 8.9 acres on Tannehill Lane, northeast corner of Tannehill Lane and Jackie Robinson Street.
- 12.4 acres in Travis Country on Trail West Drive, between Fawn Run and Twisted Tree Drive.
Stay tuned to BuildingATX as further details of any potential developments on AISD land become available.